Looking for a Home Remodeling Austin Contractor? Read this first!
In order to find a quality home remodeling contractor in Austin, you need to know where to look and what to look for. Texas is one of only a few states in the US that does not license general contractors. This means that anyone can slap a sign on the side of their truck and call themselves a home remodeling contractor. Here are 5 tips for finding a quality home remodeling contractor in Austin.
1. Look to Home Remodeling Professional Associations in Austin. Austin area professional associations hold Austin home remodeling contractors to a higher standard, including a code of ethics. Membership in a professional association demonstrates a commitment to the home remodeling industry. We strongly encourage all homeowners to choose an Austin home remodeling contractor that is a member of the Austin chapter of the National Association of the Remodeling Industry (NARI). NARI Austin provides a list of their membership online. RRS Design + Build is an award winning member of NARI Austin and sits on the NARI Austin board of directors as the treasurer for 2015 and 2016.
2. Look at their home remodeling qualifications. Understand the background and experience of any home remodeling contractor you are evaluating.
How many years of experience do they have in the home remodeling industry?
Did they come up through the trades with hands on experience, or did they transfer into the home remodeling industry?
Have they won awards for their home remodeling work?
Do they engage in continuing education?
Do they attend industry trade shows such as the Kitchen and Bath Industry (KBIZ) show and the International Builders Show (IBS)?
Do they have, or are they pursuing, any professional designations from the National Association of the Remodeling Industry (NARI) or the National Association of Home Builders (NAHB)?
3. Look for quality business practices. Any home remodeling contractor you work with should follow quality business practices. A written contract with a clear scope of work is a must. A home remodeling contractor should also not give you a hard bid during their first visit to your home. There are simply too many variables that need to be considered and detailed out in order to establish an accurate home remodeling bid. Additionally permits and inspections help protect your investment and streamline the resale process should you decide to move in the future.
4. Review their Home Remodeling Websites. Review the home remodeling contractor's website and their Houzz PRO profile. Does their portfolio represent the type of home remodeling project that you are looking to complete? Do the photos represent quality construction and finish out? Is their online appearance professional? Do they take steps to educate their clients?
5. Trust your gut. When you hire a home remodeling contractor in Austin, you are essentially inviting that person into your home for a period of weeks, or months depending on the size of the home remodeling project. Building trust and having a solid relationship from the start is key home remodeling success.
We wish you all the best in your home remodeling endeavors and would love to talk with you more about your project!