Since 2005, the annual Austin Barkitecture event has been drawing entries from local architects, builders, remodelers and designers. The event abounds with unique and creative dog house designs. From large to small, indoor to outdoor, there is something for everyone. A team of judges awards honors in several categories including Best in Show, Backyard Bungalow, Most Unusual and more. Each dog house is auctioned off and the proceeds go to support local rescue groups.
Entrants must adhere to specific building standards regarding size and cost of materials among other things. Many builders opt to cater to the smaller canine clients, but RRS Design + Build wanted to push the limits of what is possible. Reminiscent of designing within Austin's McMansion ordinance, the team crafted their "LickMansion" entry.
Having a multi-dog household presents challenges for any homeowner. Add to that the challenges of sharing your furniture with all that pet hair and suddenly a high quality, furniture grade dog house is just the solution you need. Nothing was accidental in this stunning entry.
1) The platform height was set at standard bench height so that it would be comfortable for both humans and canines to share.
2) The furniture like design adds a subtle modern touch to the backyard vs. screaming dog house
3) Setting it at this height also mimics furniture height (something that numerous tests has shown appealing to our furry friends). Pets get the birds eye view and yet can still get on and off safely.
4) LickMansion used an L shaped design to maximize space, create a conversation area and give a nod to the entry's name.
5) The three anchor posts for the sail shade were made from the same material used for chain link fence posts to stay in keeping with doggie design.
6) The raised platform serves as a spot to rest a cool summer drink or a nice glass of wine, while the area under the platform allows for the more slobbery items to be convenient, yet somewhat hidden.
7) The sail shade offers a cool spot to relax on a hot summer day.
8) The outdoor cushions are a must for comfort and complete the designer look.